Friends of the Gardens
The Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens Friends Association Inc. are an active group of over 125 members of the community who enjoy getting their hands dirty, learning about plants and the special wildlife that coexists with them and being part of a young and growing botanic gardens.
For more information on Friends of the Gardens please contact Robin McWhinney (Secretary) on 4952 2299 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gardens Friends membership is made up of two major groups, Active Friends and Supportive Friends.
Active Friends participate in the following activities:
- Gardening Friends – planting bees from March to June
- Herbarium Friends – in partnership with the Society for Growing Australian Plants (SGAP) Mackay branch, these specially trained volunteers collect, dry and mount plant specimens for the Queensland Herbarium
- Information Desk Friends – operate the Gardens Shop visitor’s desk on Sundays to advise visitors on what there is to see and do at the botanic gardens
- Walking Guides Friends – volunteer who assist the Gardens Visitor Services Officer with educational visits and tour groups
Supportive Friends come along to enjoy free guided walks at the botanic gardens and to the Mackay’s region’s stunning natural environment and also may assist with occasional fundraising events and activities.’
Benefits of becoming friend
- Become involved with planting bees - see that tree or shrub you planted with your own hands grow and give pleasure to others
- Meet locals and visitors by operating our Information Desk - for a morning or an afternoon once a month on weekends - chat, offer directions and help them enjoy Mackay
- Attend fascinating and information talks and presentations on our natural environment
- Enjoy exclusive excursions and learn something new on guided walks through the Botanic Gardens and on trips around the Mackay Region
- Make new like-minded friends
- Receive Gardens updates, images and our newsletter sent straight to your door or inbox!
Aims and objectives
- To support the ongoing development and the day to day management of the Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens, in accordance with the master plan and under the direction of the curator
- To promote the role of the Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens and activities
- To raise funds for approved projects and facilities
- To promote all aspects of the Volunteer Program
- To encourage members to apply formally for registration and training as a volunteer.
Membership fees are as follows:
- Pensioner $15
- Individual $25
- Family $35
- Club/Group $50
- Institution $50
- Corporate/Business $250
The Gardens Friends are an incorporated group working with Gardens Administration to create and tend to this beautiful and growing garden.
Thanks to the generosity of our Garden Friends who give so much of their time, the Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens will become one of the most successful and vital Botanic Gardens in Australia over the next stages of development.
For more information contact the gardens, check out their Facebook page or download the Garden Friends Brochure/Application for Membership.