- Recommended visiting is from 5am to 9pm. All major arterial pathways and facilities are accessible and lit within these hours.
- Administration is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
- The Lagoons Cafe and Gallery is open Wednesday to Friday 10am to 3pm and Weekends 9am to 4pm, Closed public holidays.
- The Tropical Shade Garden and The Fernery is open weekdays and weekends when our volunteer Gardens Friends or Staff are at the Administration office or Garden's Shop is open.
- Closed public holidays.
Toilets are located at the main entrance on Lagoon Street at the Visitors Centre (beside Administration) and are open 6:00am to 8:00pm. Adjacent to the "Under the Banyan" PlayGarden and Tamarind carpark, at the Hume Street end of the Gardens, are more toilet facilities. Toilets are also located at the Mackay Tourist Information Centre, opposite the Ram Chandra Place southern entrance to the Gardens.
Drinking fountains are located at the Visitors Centre, the Japan Garden ''circle'', beside the PlayGarden and under the giant X forms of the Forest Arbor Garden..
Dogs in the gardens
We welcome dogs and their owners to the Botanic Gardens. Dogs must be on a leash at all times and there are no ''off-lead'' areas. "Doggy-doo" bags are located at all main entrances to the Gardens and dogs owners are encouranged to use these free facilities. Please do not allow your dogs to swim in the Lagoons, as these are important habitat and breeding areas for local and migratory birds and other local wildlife.
What's not permitted
- Collecting or procuring plant material, living or dead - without the express permission of the Curator.
- Horseriding and riding unauthorised vehicles through the gardens.
- Riding bicycles within areas where the 'no bicycles' symbol appears - please walk your bicycle through these area.
- Riding bicycles at excessive speed (speed should be limited to 10kph), through garden beds and along gravel pathways or in an
unsafe manner is also not permitted for the safety and enjoyment of all visitors.
- Weddings and events without permission of the Curator.
- Any activities that may damage the living collection and site infrastructure.
Where is the Botanic Gardens
For more information contact the gardens.