Educational programs for students from Prep to Year 12 entitled "Plant-ed."
Explore a range of activities and topics designed to develop curiosity, promote asking questions and be both fun and informative. From "find it" quizzes to guided walks, presentations and hands-on learning - a memorable visit is guaranteed.
What do we have on offer?
Maya Harrison, Education Officer / Visitors Services Officer was previously well known in the community of Mackay as the Director / Teacher at the East Mackay Preschool and Kindergarten.
As a qualified educator…
Experiences range from…Self Guided Walks, Presentations, Informative Investigations…
- Self-guided walks - why not use the Botanic Gardens simply for a fun day outdoors with your students?
(Please remember to book)
- Guided walks and tours - let our guides take your class on an informative tour linked to your current curriculum -
- Fun visits - including interactive art workshops and physical adventures in the "Under the Banyan" Playgarden
- Formal presentations for older students from local experts covering a diverse range of linkages - from best practice ecotourism, nature based studies, local wildlife and the importance of the environment to our urban areas
Learning Investigations / Topics / Tours include...
* Creature Features: Observing Mini -beasts *Turn over a New Leaf… Plant Biodiversity
* Nature's Marvels: Living things and Life cycles * Bush Tucker and Useful Plants.
* Habitats: Wetlands Wonders and Rainforests * Dinosaurs in the Coal Garden
* Ecosystem changes and Endangered Species * Kitchen Gardens and Composting
* History and Culture of the Lagoons * Drawing and Design in Nature
* Hide and Seek Trails…what's hides in the Gardens? * Water…the Wonder thing
Try physical adventures in the 'Under the Banyan PlayGarden', interactive art workshops, leaf hunts, quizzes and 'find it' activities.
Education Officer Sessions: including Presentations, Guided Walks, Tours and Informative Investigations... incur a fee of $5.00 per student. (Valid till 1.7. 2014). These sessions are supported with children's activity / work sheets, clipboards and pencils, books posters and other resources.
Self Guided Activities… Free. We can help you devise learning experiences to suit your school, your children, your interests…
We can also acquaint you with the wealth of experiences the Botanic Gardens has to offer and thus assist with helping you organize your own self guided activities. Please feel free to arrange a meeting and/or a guided walk to discover the Botanic Gardens for yourself.
We love visitors but we also like to know when you are coming... Please call 49527300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Can't come to us… then we can come to you…
"Plant-ed Elsewhere" Program. Our out-reach program creates learning experiences in your teaching spaces. We can visit your school to present a variety of topics including.
- Wildlife and Wetland Wonders... inspect mini-beasts and macro-invertebrates, observing creature's features, characteristics and
their dependence on each other. A collection of live and pinned specimens is brought to your school with accompanying
photographs, books and lots of information regarding life cycles.
- Simple or Compound? : discover the leaves in your school, identify and sort leaf shapes, names and marginsand learn the
difference between Simple and Compound leaves.
- Plant a seed and grow a mind: Seed displays including dispersal methods. Sow a seed in a recycled paper pot and watch it grow.
- Life cycles of plants, moths, butterflies and other creatures.
We ask of you...
Having introduced you to the powerful "living" resource of the Botanic Gardens, We ask that you…
* Please contact the Botanic Gardens for any planned School or Group visit. Even if you wish to be self-contained and do not require a guide or structured information, the Gardens staff needs to be aware of your visit.
Maintenance like watering, mowing, pruning, whipper-snipping, and spraying could make the area you plan to visit inaccessible, events and functions may clash and wildlife may be 'on the move' in certain areas. If we know your plans, we can organize ground staff to fit around your desired timetable and site choice.
* Pass on this information to others who may be involved in Education.
* Allow us to come and speak to you, possibly at a staff meeting and share what the Botanic Gardens has to offer.