Friends event calendar
Please note that event dates may change and we ask that you visit this site regularly to view any updates or changes.
Download the Friends Event Calendar > here
The Botanic Gardens Meeting Room is the "Friends Meeting Place”
First and third Wednesdays of each month from February to December
9am - noon (except school holidays)
What happens at the 'Friends Meeting Place'?
- Friends of the Gardens meet and socialize, possibly share cuttings, bulbs, seeds, fruits, recipes etc.
- Help out the Botanic Garden's staff with plant label making and placing labels in the botanic gardens.
- Using the Botanic Gardens camera,' Friends' can photograph what is flowering or fruiting in the Botanic Gardens to assist with a "flowering diary" and provide images for the new database!
- Researching plants for signage, self-guided walks or just to add to your own knowledge can be done on the Friends' computer or sourcing books both the Friends Library and the Botanic Gardens library.
- Friends can assist with garden bed / plant audits, a great way to learn which plant is which.
- Go on mini walks with Maya and learn more about the Gardens grow in confidence and lead some Free Friday guided walks in the future.
- Friends who attend the Heritage Gardens Working Bees (on first and third Wednesdays too) might like to refresh with a cuppa after their morning toil, cool down in the air-conditioning (muddy boots are welcome) and catch up with others.
Call 4952 7300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to join in.
“Wednesday Gardening/ Planting Friends''
Join in at 7am - 9am or 10am - noon
March to late November on the first and third Wednesday
Meet Kellie (MRBG Gardener) at the Heritage Gardens at 7am or 10am. Please be prompt for the sign on / induction process and to collect your Garden Friend vest.
Volunteer / Gardening/ Planting Friends can assist the Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens staff to give the Heritage Gardens area of the Botanic Gardens some special care, but also the Garden Friends can benefit too by learning some gardening skills.
Throughout the year, Garden Friends may also team up with other Botanic Garden’s staff to assist in other Garden areas eg, Shade Garden, Orientation Garden, Meadowlands and come in more regularly to assist. These will be personal arrangements made with other Garden staff. Let us know if you are interested in volunteering more often in the Gardens.
Wednesday Gardening / Planting Friends will assist with planting lots of annuals, de-heading spent flowers, planting vegetables and much more. It is a fantastic opportunity for those who wish to volunteer their time and get their hands dirty during the week rather than weekends.
Remember to slip slop slap, wear a hat and closed in shoes and bring a water bottle too.
RSVP your attendance either by calling 4952 7300 or email email@example.com
If we plan to have our Wednesday Gardening / Planting Friends working in other parts of the Botanic Gardens, we will pick you up from the Heritage Gardens if we know you are coming that is.
Free Friday guided walks (April - October)
Join Margaret and Toni on these weekly walks and become a walking guide too
Garden Friends Committee meetings
Usually occur on the first Tuesday of every month from 7.30 – 9.30pm.
These are the dates for 2016:
August 2, September 6, October 4, November 1, December 6 (planning meeting 6.00pm)