Friends of the Gardens 'Heritage Gardens Working Bee''
Every month on the 1st Wednesday of the month, until further notice
7:00am - 12:00pm
Join in at 7.00am - 9.00am or at 10.00am - 12.00noon...or both?
Meet Kellie (MRBG Gardener) at the Heritage Gardens either at 7.00am - 9.00am or at 10.00am - 12.00noon. Please be prompt as the sign on process takes a while.
This is a special project where our Volunteer Garden Friends can assist the Mackay Regional Botanic Gardens staff to give this area of the Botanic Gardens (Heritage Gardens) some special care, but also the Garden Friends can benefit too... learning some Gardening skills. Working bees include planting lots of annuals, deheading spent flowers and planting vegetables and much more. A fantastic opportunity for those who wish to vounteer their time during the week.
2015 Heritage Gardens Working Bees...
occur on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday each month starting March 4th.
RSVP your attendance either by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 49527300.
In 2015 the Botanic Gardens Meeting Room is the…
"Friends Meeting Place"
Beginning February 4th 2015 ... 1st & 3rd Wednesday each month.
The Meeting Room at the Botanic Gardens has many uses for many different users…
From February 4th it will be a regular place for the Friends of the Gardens Volunteers to gather. The "Friends Meeting Place" will continue on the 1st and 3rd Wednesdays of every month throughout the year (except school holidays… unless the volunteers want to work with Maya and young children)
What will happen in the 'Friends Meeting Place'?
Friends of the Gardens will meet and socialize
* Help out the Botanic Garden's staff with plant label making
* Photograph monthly what is flowering in the Botanic Gardens to assist with a "flowering diary" and create a fantastic and accurate DATA BASE! The Botanic gardens has a camera that is easy to use.
* Friends may like to share cuttings, bulbs, seeds, fruits, recipes (just like the impromptu bulb sharing by Heather Melville at one of our guided walks)
* The computer (Yes, a computer just for the Friends) is available for…
friends to research plants for signage, self-guided walks or just to add to their own knowledge.
* For those who prefer books to computers, reading a wealth of plant and creature related literature from both the Friends Library and the Botanic Gardens library.
* Friends who attend the Heritage Gardens Working Bees (on 1st and 3rd Wednesdays too) might like to refresh with a cuppa after their morning toil, cool down in the air-conditioning (muddy boots are welcome) and catch up with others.
* Friends may also like to be part of the plant's stock-take and assist putting out plant labels in the Gardens… a great way to learn which plant is which.
* Go on mini walks with Dale or Maya and learn more about the Gardens…so maybe guided walks led by Friends can occur more frequently during the year.
Let us know what you think or share some other ideas. This is a new venture for the Garden Friends and we are open to any suggestions. Call Maya on 49527300 or 0409750453 or email email@example.com . 7.00am - 9.00am or at 9.30am - 12.00noon.