- Recommended visiting is from 5am to 9pm. All major arterial pathways and facilities are accessible and lit within these hours.
- Gardens Administration is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.
- The Botanic Gardens Café is open Wednesday to Friday 9am to 3pm and weekends 8am to 4pm, Closed public holidays.
- The Tropical Shade Garden and Fernery is open weekdays 9am to 5pm and Sundays (10am - 2pm) when our volunteer Gardens Friends open the Garden's Shop. The Administration Office is closed public holidays.
Toilet facilities are located at:
- the main entrance on Lagoon Street outside the Gardens Administration and are open 6:00am to 8:00pm.
- adjacent to the Botanic Gardens Playground and Tamarind car park
- Mackay Tourist Information Centre, opposite the southern entrance at Ram Chandra Place.
Drinking fountains are located:
- Outside Gardens Administration
- Matsuura Sister City Garden,
- Botanic Gardens Playground; and
- Forest Arbor Garden
Dogs in the gardens
Dogs are welcome in the Botanic Gardens, however they must be on a leash at all times. There are no off lead areas in the Gardens. Dog waste bag dispensers are located at all main entrances to the Gardens and dogs owners are encouraged to use these free facilities. Please do not allow your dogs to swim in the Lagoons, as it is important habitat and breeding areas for local and migratory birds and other local wildlife.
How you can help us to look after the Botanic Gardens
- Please be aware that our plant species within the gardens are part of our living collection and collection or procurement of any plant material, living or dead is not permitted without the express permission of the Gardens Coordinator.
- Please slow down when bike riding through the Botanic Gardens pathways. Our pathways are shared by a range of users including walkers, maintenance vehicles, scooters and parents/ carers with prams, wheelchairs.
- Please walk bicycles in areas where you see ‘no bicycle’ symbols along the pathways.
- Please contact Gardens Administration if you wish to hold a wedding or event in the Gardens (phone 4952 7300 or email email@example.com).
- The Gardens provide habitat for a range of wildlife. We encourage visitors to take photos only, however please do not interfere with any wildlife during your visit in the Gardens.
- Please park in designated carparking spaces only. Camping is not permitted in the Gardens.
- Horse riding and riding of any unauthorised vehicles through the Gardens is not permitted.
Where is the Botanic Gardens
For more information contact the gardens.